Adult Computer and Internet Use Policy
The Derby Public Library uses Library Metriks PC Management and Print Software
The PC Management component eliminates sign-in sheets and reduces staff supervision. Patrons must use their library card to sign in at individual PCs. The following parameters have been set to each PC.
- Only adult library card holders are allowed to sign on.
- Library cards from any library in the state will be accepted.
- Guest cards are available for those patrons visiting from out of state.
- Any library card holder with fines of $10.00 or more will be blocked.
- Any library card holder with one or more lost items will be blocked.
- Users are limited to 2 hours of PC usage time per day.
- Patrons are responsible for loss of data due to expiration of time.
All PCs will automatically shut down 10 minutes before closing time.
The Print Management component controls the print output of all PC's. The following parameters have been set to each PC.
- Patrons must purchase print cards before attempting to print.
- Print cards are sold in increments of $1.00, $2.00 & $5.00 and may be purchased at the circulation desk.
- Before being allowed to print, each user will be asked to enter their print card number. Only after it has been accepted, will printing actually begin.
- Staff will distribute all patron print jobs at the circulation desk.
Please ask a staff member for assistance if you have any problems or questions.
NO software may be installed by patrons
NO phones may be charged
NO chat rooms
NO pornographic sites
NO instant messaging
NO games on adult PCs
Recreational browsing of the internet is permitted, provided that the above rules are followed.
Violations of any of the above rules may result in permanent loss of computer use privileges.
Adopted by the Library Board of Directors on December 13, 2005
For a full listing of the Derby Public Library policies, please visit Library Policies page.
The library has 20 public access computers and several pieces of technology equipment, including an iPAD and XOOM tablet, obtained through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Grants to Public Libraries.
Wi-Fi service is also available throughout the building with a library key code. Children 11 years and under may use computers in the Children’s Room if they have signed permission from a parent or guardian. The library also offers adaptive technology and accessibility through screen magnification and screen reading capabilities available on adult and young adult computers.